Forum Nokia Blogs Major Suckage
I was a bit too hasty on congratulating the Forum Nokia folks on starting blogs - it turns out that the platform they're using is some totally awful crap. So says Anina, and she certainly knows what she is talking about. In addition, it appears that the first time she posted about it on her Forum Nokia Champion blog, the admins asked her to remove the post.
This is a good example of how a part of a company can get it, whereas another part of the company just has no clue whatsoever (Yes, I recall talking to these people. No, apparently I was not vocal enough). Let me give you a couple of whacks with the clue stick:
- Don't develop your own blog platform! You don't have to reinvent the wheel. You can do it, but then you have to be prepared of the criticism, because your system will take years to be as good as everyone else's. This is okay for individual hackers, but for corporations where blogging is not the core activity - it's simply not a good idea. Use something that is out there on the market.
- If you get criticism, you listen to it. You don't try to hide it.
- If you ask for someone to blog on your site, be prepared for the time he will say something you don't like
- When someone says something you do not like, you don't make them remove it.
- Especially if that person is an A-list blogger, and her real blog is far more famous than your own crappy blog.
- If you're going to have a sucky blog platform, don't ask well-established bloggers to use it. They know what blogging is far better than you do.
- And for chrissakes, if you want to be hip and follow the new trends in blogging - don't develop your own blog platform! (I have done it, and this is why my blog sucks. But at least I'm pretty much the only one using it...)
There ain't nothing complicated about blogging. But it's not "just like" PR. It's not "just like" marketing. It's blogging. And you're gonna have to treat it differently. Or not do it at all.
Back to weblog
|"Main_blogentry_110606_1" last changed on 11-Jun-2006 23:36:06 EEST by JanneJalkanen.|